Whether you’re planning to do all your packing yourself or requesting our expert assistance, packing is a critically important part of your relocation. You can relax knowing that Astro/Law's Moving & Storage packing specialists are highly trained professionals who employ proven packing techniques to assure intact, on-time, and on-budget delivery. Here are a couple of tips to get you started.
- TIP #1 - Identify what items you can pack and what items you will need the mover to pack. Most customers want professional packers to take extra care of their china, crystal, glass or marble tops, and larger hanging pictures.
- TIP #2 - Only use quality boxes. You can purchase packing supplies from your mover.
- TIP #3 - Follow a timetable. People often underestimate how long it takes to pack. You should start several weeks in advance to get an idea of your packing speed.
- TIP #4 - Start packing items that you won’t need right away, such as belongings from the garage or attic.
- TIP #5 - Packing room-by-room will help you stay organized.
- TIP #6 - Establish work areas in each room. Try to have a flat surface that you can use for holding your packing paper, tissue paper, or bubble wrap.
- TIP #7 - As you complete a room, sort boxes by weight and carton size to make loading easier and faster.
- TIP #8 - Limit boxes to a maximum weight of 50 pounds.
- TIP #9 - Provide plenty of cushioning by packing loosely crumpled, plain newsprint in the bottom of cartons. Leave room at the top for more crumpled paper.
- Tip #10 - Fill your boxes completely so they do not crush.
- TIP #11 - Pack large and heavy items first, smaller items next, filling in all empty spaces with plain newsprint.
- TIP # 12 - Be sure to label cartons clearly: Your name, a brief description of the contents, and the room where the carton should go in your new home.
For more packing tips or techniques see our “Packing Guide” on www.nationalvanlines.com in the Helpful Information/Moving and Packing Tips section.